Thursday, May 9, 2013

Family Direction

Years ago I felt like our family was lacking some direction; to know the clear purpose behind why we were here... how God wanted to use us. This led our smaller (at the time:) family to create an Alexander Family Mission Statement and eventually further led to 7 House Rules that we call our Team Rules (with a question we ask each other & an applicable verse) that we would hold each other accountable to live by. I think it's built a lot of unity among us all, having a common goal & purpose. I also believe it's spurred each of us on to "love and good works" as Hebrews 10:34 says.

Many times, when we study the Word in the mornings after breakfast, the kids & I speak it as a reminder of what we're here to do.

"Our family is chosen to be a unique and essential part of the family of God.
We choose to Love the Lord our God, Serve our family, and Give to others
with humble hearts."

Our 7 Alexander Family Team Rules are:

1. Be Thankful
"Do you have an attitude of gratitude or a badittude?" (a bad attitude:)
1 Thes 5:16-18 says "Rejoice always. Pray continually. Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
We frequently reference this when attitudes are turning sour. When are we to rejoice, pray & give thanks? Only when life is going as we want? Rejoice always. Pray continually. Give thanks in all circumstances. So much easier said than done (especially when life is so hard!!) but still something we are called to do!!

2. Do Right
"What's the next right thing (to do)?" Above our clock we have the verse Eccl 3:1 "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens." So there is a time for play, a time for chores, a time for work, a time to make messes... :) We often talk about how it's important to do what's good, so what is it a good time for now?
Galatians 6:9 (sung to I'm a Little Teapot- cheesy, but it helps them remember!) says "Let us not become weary in doing good for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

3. Speak Truth
"Are you giving a good report & speaking the truth in LOVE?" (We tell on someone ONLY if someone or something is being hurt. If someone is doing something wrong outside of that, we pray for them and encourage them to do what's right as it says in 1 Thes 5:11 & Hebrews 3:13.)
Ephesians 4:25 (sung to the tune of Three Blind Mice:) says
"Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body." If we're members of one body- the same body, shouldn't we speak the truth in love as Ephesians 4:15 says shortly before this verse? That is key- speaking prayerfully in love.

4. Consider Others
"Am I serving with JOY (Jesus 1st, Others next & Yourself last)?" 
Leviticus 19:18 says (to the tune of Happy Birthday) "Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge, to one of your people but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord." If we love ourselves enough to feed ourselves when we're hungry & give ourselves rest at night when we're tired, & we're to love others as we love ourselves, how does that look?

5. Practice Discipline
"How can I get control of myself?"
Prov 14:23 says "All hard work brings a profit." There are several other verses we could have used for this but I think this is a good & encouraging one. If I put in the hard work it takes to get up early in the morning, spend time in the Word & pray... if I practice self control in what I eat... if I discipline my body to exercise consistently, there will be a profit from it!

6. Make Peace
"How can I bless (& not curse someone when I'm hurt or they're hurt)?" 
Romans 12:18 says "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."
"If it is possible..." it may not always be, but "as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."

7. Work Hard
"Who do you work for?"
Colossians 3:23 says "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."

It is a daily struggle to live all this out but I'm thankful for God's grace in that! My prayer is that these concepts will be permanently impressed upon our young ones' hearts (as well as mine & Jason's) & they will help shape each of us into mature followers of Christ!

1 comment: